Friday, March 06, 2009

Monday, parliament day

I completely forgot to talk about my amazing visit to Parliament on Monday night. To cut a long, and only amusing story for, say, two people, short, Luke and I went to the House of Commons for a tour and special seats at question time. Not only did we chat local issues with his local MP (obviously I had a lot of thoughtful and insightful points to offer), but we also got our own private tour complete with really interesting, and no, I'm not being sarcastic, historical anecdotes. It was one of the most random, surprising and interesting things I've done in London. I spent a lot of our MP conversation thinking about saying something regarding Australian politics such as, 'oh, I believe our political system is based on that of the English one' because derr, it is, but as I opened my mouth I had a moment of panic when I thought I was wrong. So I closed it. Plus I couldn't remember what we called our House of Representatives, which, with hindsight, I now realise, is called the House of Representatives. We also went into the family room, met a dude who campaigned for Obama and got really cool security tags. Now I know what I'll look like if I ever rob a bank and then escape via a train station where they capture me on CCTV.

It was just really kind of inspiring to meet someone who was actually really passionate about making a difference. Of course, it hasn't really rubbed off on me as being some kind of Joan of Arc is only a thought rather than a reality, but still, it was great. Question time was a err, dull, but it was bizarre seeing an MP in that green room (can't remember it's official name) with his feet up on the middle table you see on TV.

No comments: