Thursday, October 02, 2008

A better me

I’ve been thinking about it for a while and I’m going to be an all round better person. I’m going to be someone who is financially responsible, who does more baking and someone who sends postcards immediately after holidays*. I’m pretty sure there are other things I should add to the list. Oh, yes, be a better writer. I am going to learn grammar. I will use tenses properly, write with more emotion in my work and know where my apostrophes go. I may also start read my work properly before it is read by ‘important’ people i.e my work group head. I am going to exercise my mind. Be more informed. Be caring. Thoughtful. More aware. Learn politics. World economic policies (maybe). Yes, these are the things I’m going to do.

This is exciting. I’ve already started. I met with a financial adviser today. I even listened to most of it. I took notes too. I just realised I forgot that I decided to action my list immediately, good start Vanessa, but at least I’ve remembered to do it now.

In fact, I’m going to put you all on cyber hold while I perform my first maturely actioned task.

Done. I feel better and more responsible already.

I’ve also decided that I am going to make some more friends. With the forthcoming departure of many of my closest London friends I will soon find myself significantly ‘friendless’. So how does one go about making new friends? My sister suggested I join the choir. Maybe the fact I’m not 50, don’t like quilting and can’t sing is a good enough reason for a big, fat, no freakin’ way. Kudos to her for originality though. As if by sent down from Google God, there was a pop up banner on one of my search sites advertising a meet people club. So I clicked. Then it confirmed what I suspected. They are all losers. I’m sure they love playing darts and putting tunes on the jukebox. There has to be another way. So I thought about taking up a sport. Except, well, let’s just say despite the fact my Dad loves to brag about the golden years of his shot put and javelin talents, none of us picked up the sporty gene. That and the fact I suspect he is lying.

So my friend avenues have been severely dwindled. I want my new friend circle to be like Brangelina’s brood. I want friends from all over the world. I want to talk about my friend Djwali from Africa and Anja from Sweden**. Even Karen from London would do.

*I will actually get around to sending my postcards from New York. Yes, I realised it was in June. No, I will not consider sending postcards from the actual holiday destination – let’s be realistic here.

**Current friends, no offense, I really like you, but I have to do a top up.

7 comments:

Mars said...

i need to top up too... this is a real issue.

should we top up with each other? (not weird at all)... if you could just move to manchester and be rad, that'd be fantastic.

thanks!

Wood said...

How do we top up with non freaky people that don't have a collection of stuffed animals in alphabetical order (by name not creature) on their bed? I want random, interesting, fun people. Is that too much to ask?

I could have shared a cool friend with you who used to live in Manchester. But she moved down to London, so, um, that doesn't help. Maybe you should move? I feel like we could friends in a non weird way.

Dances With Zombies said...

this is beyond surreal...

Ness you need to drop acid and record prog-rock records with your blog as lyrics.....

Woo Hoo!!

Wood said...

Should I wear a beret too?

Anonymous said...

I also need new friends, a lot of mine have moved to far flung places or are getting married one by one. I was considering joining ultimate frisbee. What kind of dumplings do you like?

Wood said...

I considered ultimate frisbee too but then was told you actually had to be able to catch regularly not as a fluke.

Any dumplings really. But if I could order some anywhere, right now, they would be the steamed dumpling from BBQ City, Gouger St, Adelaide.

Anonymous said...

Oh rather than run away from it, shouting that you thought it might land over there? I wonder if you are allowed to catch it with both hands.
Have you had dumplings from Prague?