Saturday, November 24, 2007

It's nice having a blog but...

where do you draw the line in regards to who you tell about it? For example, I had one of those scary big brother moments today at work. Hypothetically speaking I wanted to download a certain music program onto my work computer. Now, working in a slightly more strict/professional organisation than my last place, such 'illegal' (and I use that term loosely) aren't allowed. So I decided to be tricky and pretended I wanted to know my admin password for updating software. Yea, that backfired and now I have 50 new programs I don't want, but the point of this story is that IT logged onto my computer and started fiddling around this stuff, that also included spotting the music program I had tried to download. In true Vanessa 'I can't lie' style, I started stumbling over my words when he questioned me. His line of questioning, by the way, was using my cursor to circle it in a disapproving matter while we were on the phone. He couldn't even bring himself to say the name of the program aloud. Plus, I had written my entry about mental health day on one of my work word docs and realised that was on my desktop. Whoops. Now, this story is slightly long winded, but the point of it is, when you want to do tricky things, or in my blogs instance talks about chucking sickies or talking about people who you work with who tend to wear maroon jumpers and 'ponder' a lot, it kind of limits who you give it to. Especially when people ask.

Maybe I've just answered my question, don't let people I work with see my blog.

Now, that I've solved my own dilemma, I should really get my own talk show.

In other news, I had a work thing last night that involved me being wrestled over a sofa by a 45 kilo chav chick from Essex and then beer poured all over me. The thing about London is, you go hard and then you go home. You had to make that vital decision, do I catch the last tube home or do I keep going and hope to make it home. With my sense of direction and tendency to walk with my keys in my hand ready to stab (I have recently found out this is not an effective form of self defense) I choose the tube option.

In food news a really good restaurant thingy has opened up near work:

www.leonrestaurants.co.uk

I had it for lunch yesterday and today. Reasons why? Good food - tick and it appealed to by Asian 'I seek any good bargain' side as the food was all half price. Yesterday chili con carne (people here do not know how to pronounce this dish) and today, Leon Gobi followed by a Twix. Then I had a brownie explosion and then hot chips before going to see one of my favourite movies of all time. Yes, I have something to contribute to my stark/non existent favourite movies list; The Darjeeling Limited.

Ok, I'm tired. Bye.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's analagous to leading a double life. You're always at risk of being found out - which adds to the thrill. Do you access this blog from work? If so the IT dudes would already know about it, surely?

Did the Chavette have a boyfriend or any offspring in tow? My understanding is they travel in loose family groups for saftey. A talk show is the obvious next move from here.

The Moroccan meatballs and sweet potato falafel sound yummo!

Keys work as long as you're in close - ears and eyes can prove particularly vulnerable to the well-placed lockwood.

Wood said...

Oooh, I like the word analogous!!!

Crap I don't know. Yes, I do. Ummmmm, I just wrote a post bitching about work. Ugh, oh well!

Yes, Tony the karate king. She also has a cousin Stevie and Sammi. They do travel in packs actually. She loves telling me about her local essex clubs - icons and jaks.

Anonymous said...

Pity I misspelt it....