Wednesday, November 28, 2007

Why thy loves himself a little too much

Let's face it. I work in a really wanky industry. Up until now I've been pretty lucky with tosser levels registering low. Extremely low in fact. Now, let's not get confused with maroon jumper dude and yes, he still bugs me. Let's just recap why. Rather than him being a wanker as such, he's just a knob. It's the fact he stares at me blankly when I fake smile at him and say 'hey' when crossing paths (I now just stare him out - soooooo much more satisfying), his gross maroon cable knit jumper, his Bevis-like snigger and his pondering into the air (puh-lease). Even his purchases of Doritos every lunch bugs me. Ok, ok, that one is a bit petty, but I think it's the combination of too many red colours (head, jumper and chip packet) that messes with my senses.

So, back to the real tosser. He can't go five minutes without some kind of self gratification. For example, and I'm not exaggerating, well, he might be, and I quote word for word; 'I can't not do brilliant work'. He even described himself as being 'the radar' in advertising. If he's the radar, I'm definitely the perforated paper (the bit you throw away)when you get a stats print out. I don't quite know what that means, but I liked the analogy. It's hanging out with people like him that make me realise I'm never going to go far doing this job. Well, my lack of enthusiasm may be a good indication, but I know I'm certainly never work at one of the grand dame agencies. I think I'd probably have to start wearing a beret, change my name just V and maybe up my perforated paper analogy to at least blip on the radar status. The dude isn't that bad, but I work in a fairly egoless place, and when you get exposed to one, it's like staring at the water when it's a sunny day and you've forgotten your sunglasses.

Ugh, I need some direction. No, I need to be paid to faff.

Also, I put together my list of future travel places today. It's rather extensive. It means a lot of zigzagging around countries. It also means finding a lot more money. I like how I use the word 'find' like I have a chest full of money under my bed. Perhaps 'earn' would be better. Or 'win the lottery'. I'll share my list when it's more complete.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's nice feeling superior to a git with unpolarized reflected radiance passing for a personality (in a perverse kinda way). The knob on the other hand is just a knob. There's no real satisfaction in knowing that you're infinitely superior to a maroon-jumper-wearing-Dorito-munching knob.

Wood said...

I'll take any kind of superiority I can get! Knob or otherwise. Cheap, but true. Mmmm, doritos...

Dances With Zombies said...

Welcome back to my world. This industry is full of dildo's who think the world revolves around their ball sack...

I like to approach it from the 'lets see how much fun I can have with this' angle. Eg. if he thinks he is advertisings radar then make sure to point out the blips he's either missed or misinterpreted...

well... it works for me. It doesn't take a lot to entertain me these days...