Friday, June 01, 2007

Career crisis

So I'm having a crisis...

I don't know what to do with my life. I have two career paths to choose from and neither I'm sure I want to do.They are both paying the same so that doesn't really help. Both are in creative environments (tick) but then both kind of lead to different things.

Let's go through my options (I wish I had butcher paper)

COPYWRITER

THE UGHS:

Yea, it's ok most of the time but I don't love it. Sometimes I do though. Well, love is a strong word when describing work, let's say enjoy.

I feel like a massive fraud doing it. I feel like someone is going to tap me on the shoulder at any moment and say 'umm, what are you doing? You suck, can you leave?'

I can't imagine doing it for the rest of my life. Ok, that's dramatic, for the next couple of years lets say.

THE YEAS:

The place I am working at is near the Borough Markets (lots of ticks to that)

The place I am working at is 'going places'

I'd like to give copywriting more of a go as my previous experience was slightly warped

I am given free reign (that's really scary) and no one checks my work.

There's a bonus scheme

It's closer to home


PROJECT MANAGER

THE UGHS:

I would have to deal with clients again

I wouldn't be writing anymore

I would have to do job bags and organise stuff instead of just being told what to do

It's further from home

Pay is less (no bonus)

THE YEAS:

I would be the project manager for Nike

The workplace is smaller and has a better vibe and friendlier people

There's the opportunity to move into a tv project manager role

They produce really cool work

This would open up more doors to other jobs here rather than just limiting myself to copywriting

HELP! I don't know what to do and I have to decide over the weekend.....I'd really just rather faff...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Vanessa - just had to go through the same fucked situation. refer to your hotmail account for my experience and -ahem - my attempt at advice...
xx

Wood said...

Thanks Rani and thanks to everyone else who sent me emails. Much appreciated!