Monday, May 07, 2007

The road to obesity

Well, you will all be pleased (for those who are betting)/not surprised to know that I am working my way towards obesity. And I was doing pretty well in Thailand. Ugh. It was a mistake to try scones with jam and clotted cream. So so wrong.

For example,

Thursday: Lisa's friend came over and brought a sponge cake. Because we were sitting in front of it Anna and I ate over half of it. Then we went out to this beautiful orchard garden that was serving scones with jam and clotted cream (we also had this for afternoon tea the day before). The garden, by the way, was so very English. And so very charming. Rupert Brooke and Virginia Woolf used to go there when they were at Cambridge and have picnics under the big trees and no doubt have very witty arguments about literature and politics. Then we had a potato bake for dinner. Anna and I thought it was a waste to throw half of it out, so we ate the rest (this, by the way has turned into a pattern).

Friday: Anna and I went and had a local pub lunch. Then we went and had afternoon tea. Then we had a massive dinner where we proceeded to eat the leftovers again instead of throwing them out. Or even putting them in the fridge.

Saturday: Pub lunch again. Afternoon tea. Again. Dinner + leftovers again. Oh, and 2 chocolate bars cause they were on special. Mmmm, snickers.

Sunday: Pub lunch (hello, sunday roast). Then a party at my sisters house that had nibblies. See, that's where I go wrong. I feel that I have to try everything. And then try it again just to make sure. We ate half a carrot cake. Actually, maybe more than half. Then had cupcakes. The little girl whose mother had made them looked like she was going to cry because there were none left. Uh, whoops. I washed the tin though. I was Christmas full after that.

Monday: Pub lunch (we were in Cambridge - does it make a difference if we are in a different location?) and then afternoon tea. Mmmm, I had a Ploughman's Lunch just because I liked the word.

Cambridge, by the way, is the most beautiful little(ish) village. I don't think I could ever get sick of the English countryside with the canola fields and the rolling green hills. It makes me want to frolick in a white dress with an apron and maybe ride a horse. Oh, and have a daisy chain in my hair too.

Mmm, start freelancing on Wednesday. Must work out a way to feel smarter by then. Think Vanessa. Think. I wonder if I could Google it.....

Ok. I have written A LOT about food but I just want to make it clear there are A LOT of pubs and cakes to eat here and I believe in embracing culture wholeheartedly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's better than being on the road to nowhere.... immerse yourself, cholesterol and GI be damned!

Anonymous said...

Was the Ploughman's Lunch one of these trendy new-fangled things with some fancy cheese like Stilton and a tossed salad or your traditional bog standard Cheddar and pickled onions?

Wood said...

Um, no, well, kind of. I had goats cheese with it but had a pickled onion too. I guess it was the best of both worlds.