Saturday, April 14, 2007

Conect Four, water fights and elephants

Well, here I am in Thailand and I am having an awesome time so far. I am in Ao Nang at the moment which is in the southern provence of Thailand. It's a pretty small place and it's surrounded by the most beautiful cliffs. Thailand so far has been everything I expected it to be.

Ok, I know it's only the 2nd paragraph in, but I HAVE to talk about the food. On our first night we had the best honey pandan chicken I've ever tasted. Ok, so I've never had pandan chicken before, but hey, I'm sure it would be the best anyway. Ohhhhh, and the shakes. There are loads of vendors at the side of the road that make the most beautiful fruit shakes. I am addicted to the mango ones. I think I may branch out tomorrow but it will be hard. Lastly I will talk about the pineapple. They sell it cut in long bits and it's so sweet and tasty I can't begin to describe how good it is.

Ok, what else? Well, the first night here we went to a bar and what do they have for you to play?? Connect four!! I really think they should think about introducing that in Australia. The first proper day we were here we went on a 4 island hopper tour in one of the longtail boats. Of course I managed to slam my cox(ix?) bone into the metal step so let's just say sitting, walking and basically any type of movement is extremely painful. As is sitting in the back of the boat with the vibrating motor. I had a very maternal moment while I was snorkelling at one of the islands. There were 3 tiny fish that became very attached to me. It didn't matter how far I'd swim, they'd still follow. Ok, so it was a little unmaternal when I thought about how I'd like to eat fish for dinner and if they were a bit bigger they might taste nice, but still, they liked me, or my bathers. Who knows.

When we got back from the island tour we were greeted by the locals and tourists alike with water being chucked at us from their cars and on the street. It was crazy, I can't even begin to describe it. Imagine gridlocked traffic with Thai locals either hanging out of their cars or piled in the back of their trucks with massive containers of water which they throw at eachother and people on the street. I was on the street throwing water at people for about 3 hours and it never got old. Then there were also people walking up and down the street putting white powder on your face to celebrate the new year. The only trouble was that the white powder stung. Lucky there was A LOT of water to wash it off with. It was hard to think of the water restrictions at home with this happening.

This morning we did the good ole tourist thing and went on an elephant trek. For the most part of it I was in extreme pain as transportation by elephant isn't the smoothest ride. The whole experience was ok, but I wouldn't do it again. After the ride we got to feed them which was cool and then one of the guys took us on a tour of the park and we got to try some of the vegetables they were growing.

Anyway, I better go. I hope this entry made sense because there is a girl next to me who has been talking to herself the whole time I have been typing.

No comments: