Monday, July 24, 2006

I am a bad Australian, or maybe just a typical one

It seems that it's only when you leave your country that you realise how little you actually know about it. When I was in Scotland I was asked a lot of questions about Australia. What's the population, what time does the post come, famous Australian fish, flora and fauna, average temperatures etc, all of which I really should know the answers to (= bad Australian). However, in the true Aussie way I gave all the answers a go, even if I was making them up (= typical Australian). So, Australia according to Vanessa has a population of 20 million (I think that's about right), the postie comes at 11, River Murray Cod is a famous Australian fish (hmm, don't know where I pulled that one from), wattle (couldn't think of anything else) and Adelaide has a average summer temperature of 27 and winter 15 (I think I should have been more generous with our summer average).

Hmm, so what else have I been doing? Well, after I ate my way through Oban (my cousin's grandparents stuffed us with cake, tea and then more tea!) my cousin and I headed back for Abers (as the locals call it) and then made our way to Edinburgh the next day. To my delight when collecting my bag from the bus, I realised that the toilet on the bus had indeed been dripping onto my (Kerry's) bag and my (Kerry's) bag was wet with urine. Charming. Then I had to hike around Edinburgh trying to find the hostel which no locals seemed to have heard of the suburb it was in. As a result I stank (note to Kerry, the bag has now been dysinfected - btw I know that's not a word but it works ok). Apart from initially smelling like a toilet, Edinburgh was fantastic. We went on a ghost tour which was cool, until they did the total unexpected and had someone run past a doorway wearing a cape.....ooooer.

Glasgow was next and was not one of my favourite places at all. It was kind of depressing. There were so many destitute looking people about and one day there was enough for me. Next was Manchester which I really really liked. It had a really cool vibe. There are so many shops and little cafes floating around the place, the only thing which sucked was my bus there was delayed on the highway for 2.5 hours in the heat (yes, it really was hot), so a journey that should have taken 4 hours took 6.5 hours and there was no toilet on board and I had no food or water.

You would think my bus adventures couldn't get any worse, but they did! I missed my bus from Manchester to London which was massively annoying but what was worse was getting on the next bus to London which was unairconditioned and got stuck in traffic again, so a 4 hour journey turned into 6.5 hours. Luckily I brought food and water, but didn't want to drink much because the toilet on the bus was set to spill over the edge with everyone's contributions as the flush didn't work. Arghh, no more buses!

This has been an mammouth update, hopefully it doesn't sound too whingy. Looking back it's funny, but at the time there were just too many wee related things in one week!!

Bye

No comments: