Tuesday, March 02, 2010

7 days

This time, this exact time in a week, I’ll be packing my things up (by packing up, I mean shoving my laptop somewhere) and leaving grey behind for three and a half weeks. Do you hear me people? Three and a half weeks! This calls for more exclamation marks!!!!!

It’s strange, mostly, I don’t think of my other home much. And by that, I don’t mean the people, it’s more the physical nature. I don’t think about the roads, the trees or the shops. And of course, I don’t need to think of these things, because everyday life is in London, but as the days draw closer, they’re appearing again. I’m suddenly having flashes of ‘home’. I’m remembering street names, shops, foods, I’m even thinking about how I’d get from the city to the beach and where I’d park. It’s a strange mix of comfort and excitement.

And for the first time, I’m showing my home to someone else. Being over here has changed how I perceive Australia and Australians. Instead of being proud, at times it has made me cringe, made me embarrassed and made me ashamed. Of course, it’s not all bad. I know it’s not. I guess I want L to see the best part of my other home, because I know how great it is. I want him to see it how I left it, not how Aussies abroad ruined it.

But the most important thing is, I'm coming home. I can feel sun on me. I can hear the crickets at sunset and the smell of eucalyptus. I'm walking slower already and smiling at strangers (actually, not yet, but I might). I'm coming home and I can't wait.

1 comment:

Banani said...

I felt warm and fuzzy reading that.