Sunday, January 24, 2010

Ode to grey

I'd like to dedicate a post to a major colour in my life;

Grey.

Everyday, I am greeted with your presence. In fact, living in this country, there isn't a day goes by when I don't see some shade of you. And here I am, worried about my impending holiday to Australia. Worried, of all things about the weather. I keep forgetting I'm about to come back to a country that doesn't go, at maximum, a week without blue sky. Here, we could go two weeks, perhaps even three, without looking up and seeing an hint of pale blue relief to the otherwise gloominess up above.

And it's starting to kill me slowly.

Kind of like when someone is tapping their pen in a two hour meeting. Sure, you can deal with it for about 15 minutes, busying yourself with eyeing the biscuits (pre credit crunch) or thinking about lunch. But then, it becomes all you can think about, making you want to claw your way across the table, rip it out of their hand and starting tapping them with it in the middle of their forehead. I would just like to point out that in 2009, I would have said 'rip it out of their hand and use it to stab them in the eye' but I am trying to be less violent in my work fantasies in 2010.

So back to the weather. I remember Yoel once said (and excuse me Yoel for paraphrasing) some of the greatest bands, e.g Radiohead, could only come from the UK because of the weather. Yoel, you were so right. I'd like to take a moment to address Radiohead and say, I finally understand and you're forgiven. You (the band) have no other choice for producing such wrist slitting music because it's FUCKING DEPRESSING seeing nothing but grey for an extended period of time.

Argh, grey, get out of my life.

I know, I know. I have winter blues. But it's making me want to crawl out of my skin. I feel impatient. It's turning all that I love about this place into resentment for the constant darkness and gloom. It's probably because I know I have sun coming.

6 weeks.

6 weeks.

It can't come soon enough.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Firstly, I'd just tell the prat to stop with the fucking pen. Just pop out a quick "Dude..." and then do the eyebrow thing in the direction of his pen. Stop being such a pissy Morrish.

Secondly it's an interesting post all round. It's not like I've lived in the grey for any extended period but I would LOVE some right about now... but not for the obvious "I hate heat" reasons (although they come into play after a 40 min drive to mum and dads with no fucking air-cond. and a bunch of annoying dicks blocking you on the road. that make you wanna get out and beat them with a 5 wood). But enough of my own violent driving fantasies... the grey is a source of inspiration. You need to escape it, then escape in your head. I think that's what Yoel was saying, creative more often than not evolves out of depression. It evolves from needing to escape. From needing to create a reality different to the one you're in. You should use it. Write yourself a story based in Oz?

Ok... I need more coffee. Rant done.

Unknown said...

Sigh... first paragraph 'pissy' shoulda been PUSSY.

I really should re-read my posts...