Thursday, February 12, 2009

Hack

Does anyone else feel like a complete hack sometimes? Is it just my job or does hackism and self doubt span further than the shallow world of advertising?

Some days I feel like I'm on fire. I am a writing machine. But that's only sometimes. If they were doing a survey of dentists like on the Colgate ads (except obviously they wouldn't be interviewing dentists - derr), the voice over would read 'did you know that Vanessa is mediocre four out of five working days?'. Is it ok to know and be ok with the fact you're just ok at your job? Do people who are brilliant at things know that they brilliant? Probably. So I guess I'm not.

Is it a defeatist attitude to be mediocre? Or is it a result of things coming too easy to our generation so if something's hard, we just give up and try something else? Who knows. I'm driven to try because I'm stubborn and competitive, rather than passionate. I don't think I want to be brilliant for the right reasons so maybe that's why I never will be. I can't work out whether it's a smart thing to be ambivalent about ambition or just, I don't know, lazy. Sometimes I think a lack of ambition equates to happiness because you fill your life with more things that just your career. You have a better balance in your life, you put more energy into other, more important things. Other times, I think it's just an excuse for not trying. Some days, I think the only thing that tips me above average is because I can't reconcile which one I am.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I know exactly how you feel mate. I feel like a hack ALL the time.

I'm not sure if it's a built in circuit breaker for creatives or not, but a lot of people I know feel that way too. I think it's the ones without it that get the notoriety, but I don't think that makes the quiet ones any less brilliant... I mean for example a lot of painters only get noticed once they die, cos their death brings them the attention they didn't seek.

Not that I think your road kill ad's will ever hang in the louvre, but perhaps there's a short story or novel on the horizon for you that may one day make people look back and go..

"Morrish knew how to string her words together dangnammit"

PS: I now blog 'professionally' on www.snarkhunters.com check me out!

PPS: And we should get onto the other one too!

Anonymous said...

i concur. I feel like Hack. A hack frozen in the headlights, because not sure where a hack of my calibre has to run and hide. That much of a hack.