Saturday, October 25, 2008

Funds and gingivitus

So I am now a person with a managed fund. Yes. I am MATURE. Not only do I have an accountant but now I can add managed fund, flossing and user of mouthwash to my list of the adult-like tasks I now perform. Might I just add that the last three are new additions as of today and my accountant, well, that happened about 2 years ago after I calculated my tax wrong and got audited - who knew they paid attention?

After my meeting with my financial adviser today I was feeling pretty pleased with myself. So much so I decided to discuss 'the market' when I got home with my housemate KK.

The conversation went something like this:

Me: I got myself a managed fund today.

KK: What kind?

Me: Umm, what do you mean? It's a managed fund (said slowly for the Cambridge graduate).

KK (being quite patient and un-sarcastic): Bonds or stocks?

Me: Uhhhhhh. Uhhhhhh. I don't know. One with 'newton' in it.

KK: Helpful.

Me: Um, it's middle risk...(insert internal dialogue)

Internal dialogue: Think Vanessa. Rewind brain (internal dialogue makes rewind noises). 1pm today, you were hungry, thinking of burrito while Peter Bloom kept pushing his glasses that he keeps in the tiniest box ever, up, on top of his forehead. You are thinking this is weird and he is bending the arms out of shape. He is talking. You remember you are suppose to be listening. You say mmmmm a couple of times. You repeat the last bit of what he just said. He nods. YES - you got it!

Me: Well, it's low scale volatility (back on the finance talk train).

KK then goes onto do some explaining of the difference between bond and stock funds. I actually listen and get it although a cloud has ruined the shine in my day's maturity.

Despite my lack of understanding of the fiscal world, I do know teeth. So I decide to take charge of my mouth and make pact number 167 to, from now on, floss and use my mouthwash that I bought a year and a half ago.

Postcard update: still not sent, maybe tomorrow.

3 comments:

Mars said...

i think you're doing quite well... i don't even know what a managed fund it, let alone how to get one. i assume i don't need one though, because all my money has already been invested in the widening of my arse, and the eventual deterioration of my liver. you know how it goes...

Anonymous said...

you are now officially my hero. Two things in life that I have been meaning to look after for sooo long - money and teeth.
Both so important in their own ways ... money to live and teeth to chew and mash out the succulent flavours within food. You only get 2 sets of real ones in your life. Very precious.

Alex said...

Damn those evil postcards! :)

Am impressed with your managed fund discussion with KK. I would have clouded over within 2 minutes of talk of stocks and bonds. Well done for hanging in there (even though half of the internal thought process would have been littered with food references no doubt).

;) Hugs all round my friend. xxA

P.S: I seem to remember a pact to use same said mouthwash about 6 months ago. Hmmmm....