Saturday, May 17, 2008

That special something

Do you know what I love?

No, no, other than food.

That special something that makes you connect with someone to form a friendship. That thing that connects you with someone in a totally platonic way but is so special that no matter how much time you've spent apart, the spark that drew you to the person in the first place remains. Ands there's nothing better than picking up where you left off. Too many people get caught up between mistaking acquaintances for friends. Mostly, it's people you work with. The true test is when that commonality is stripped away, whether you can take it to that other level.

I wonder what it is that draws you to your friends. The most obvious answer is a common thread of interests or way of thinking. But when I think about my friends, most of us have quite diverse lives and at times, a completely different, unparalled way of thinking. So I'm not sure that's it. Can it actually be explained, or is it just one of those beautifully strange things.

Living away from friends is often a great test of true friendship. People get caught up in their routine and when you're away from the everyday events, you actually have to make a real effort to stay in contact. Days too easily slip by, events not shared, and soon, months have passed. I totally understand lapses in communication, as sad as it is, and as much as it sometimes disappoints me, it's just a part of life. But I look forward to seeing some of my strangers again. I know if that spark is strong enough, we'll pick it up again just as we left off.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, nessy-burger, that was a real tear jerker! beautiful, just...beautiful! are you moonlighting for hallmark these days? i have to say though, as warm and fuzzy as that made me feel, it's the cynisism i miss, that and the detailed descriptions of everything that's passed your lips in the past 48 hours!

Dances With Zombies said...

Amen Miss Morrish...

Wood said...

I don't know what's wrong with me. I'm turning into a sap!!!

I love you annonymous. I know who you are with your hot little...

P.S Praise the lord Stew!