Sunday, January 13, 2008

Signature dish

So I've decided I need a signature dish. You know, one that you know off by heart and can just whip it up when the need arises.

Scenario: dinner party and the host forgot to make a dessert.

Host: "Oh my god, I'm such a bad host, I forgot to make a dessert!"

Me: "Don't worry about it [insert name of host], I can make us a [insert signature dish] in no time."

Host: "That would be great. Thank god I invited you. And here I was thinking you were just one of those people who come to dinner parties, never return the invitation and always have thirds."

Me: "Pfffft, that was so 2007. I now cook and have a signature dish."

I'm thinking that sticky date pudding could be it. Ok, I've made it once. But it was good that one time. Can you claim a signature dish from a one time making? Can you claim a dessert? It's not very useful other than made up scenarios like the one above. I think I need a main dish. Perhaps some kind of green thai curry or something with asparagus. Or fennel. Wait, I don't really like fennel. Leek?

I feel I have the potential to be impressive. Not in a high school report card 'impressive but never applies herself' kind of way, more like, that's the best leak curry I've ever had, shit Vanessa can cook.

I'm going to surf for recipes now.

Please hold for culinary greatness...

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your signature dish should be something everyday like Spag Bog or Macaroni and Cheese but it should be the best version of that dish ever. That way when people make their version of *insert dish* they will always think I just can't make it like her. That Vanessa they will sigh, 'Takes ordinary everyday *insert dish* and just makes it amazing, she must be the most amazing cook'. See how you begin to confuse people with genius???

Wood said...

As they say in London "that's a good shout". It's so the culinary version of Clark Kent/Superman.

But I have a problem. I have made both dishes on numerous occasions and both have been average. Thing is, I feel like if I do that, I have to think of that key ingredient myself, and my skills just don't extend that far.

Why do I lack talent? Whhhhhhhhhy?

Dances With Zombies said...

As a self confessed comic book nerd I can't let the Clark/Supes thing go by without asking this simple question... Huh?

So you're saying you want to cook something, then rip it out of the bowl and have it be something else?

Or are you going to cook in a suit and glasses and then rip them off and have a different name at the dinner table?

Or are you just going to wear tight superman t-shirt... Oh no, hang on that's not bad. :-P

Wood said...

Stew. C'mon!!!! You look at the plate of Spag Bog (yawn boring Clark Kent) and then taste it (most amazing tasting thing EVER - hello Supes)

Clear cut analogy.

Dances With Zombies said...

Hmmm... I kinda see where you're going, but I ain't buying. Perhaps I need to have a nerd intervention with you or something?

Hmm maybe I could get yoel involved....

Wood said...

That would involve Yoel communicating with me. He lacks those skills.

Mmmm, nerds.