Thursday, November 15, 2007

New house, frozen nose. We can't have it all.

Stubborness is a curse. It causes you to do stupid things like decide it’s a good idea to move house in London on your own. Actually, moving house on your own is a stupid idea no matter what the location. Especially when it doesn’t involve a car. So instead of accepting the help of others, I moved myself, dragging the masses of crap I’ve accumulated over the last 7 months down the street to my new abode (which is awesome by the way).

Do you know what is also a curse? The cold. The kind of cold that freezes your nose at night and causes you to lie there with your duvet over your head, but with a little peep hole so you have fresh air. This whole process is difficult to perfect and uncomfortable. I know this won’t make a lot of sense to some of you, but the cold here chills your bones. And it’s not even winter. Prepare yourself for more complaining. On the upside, my new mattress is a lot more comfortable. So much so, I can roll over and not have springs stab me in the back. Woohoo! I’m liking my new housemates. I feel I can talk about midgets freely without feeling like I am going to be judged. Especially seeing as though there is a blow up doll in our kitchen.

In other news, I’ve bit the bullet and bought a zone 3 travelcard. I’ve been fooling myself for the last 7 months that I live in zone 2, when in fact, I don’t. And it’s too cold to be playing ‘I live in zone 2’ games i.e walking 20minutes. So now, it’s more of a 5 minute walk, which I think is worth the extra £5 a week.

This weekend is going to be jam packed again. Ok, so when is it not. But I may even get to squeeze in some tv!! Yay! Hello mind numbing goodness. I’m worried I’m going to have to start cooking at my new house. The guys were cooking something with prawns last night which looked really good. It was making me feel inadequate and I am more of an ‘eater’ than a ‘creator’. I may have to bring out the culinary skills. Wa-cha! (that was culinary karate).

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey Wood, a new Chinese place opened on Glen Osmond Rd (near the factory outlets down from the Arkaba) and they do the most incredible tea smoked duck. Probably a little too complicated for the busy professional to try at home though. It takes about 24 hours to prepare and involves three cooking stages, steaming smoking and then deep frying. mmmmmmmm tastes good but! Maybe go with a stir fry and steamed rice and build up from there.

Wood said...

Thanks, that's really good to know. But does it compare to Ying Chow's duck? That's pretty good.....I don't believe in building up, go hard, or or go and eat pasta.

Anonymous said...

Yes it does (compare), in my humble opinion. And just like Ying Chow's, Rice is always chock-full of number 23's - usually a good sign that the food's up to scratch. Found a recipe on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tea_Smoked_Duck

Go hard girl!

Wood said...

Oh, I love a good wiki reference