Thursday, September 13, 2007

Croatia

Slackness is a terrible thing. It’s like putting jam in your cup of tea because it’s the closest thing around you can’t be bothered getting up for sugar. Erm, not that I’ve done that before…

Anyway, I am freshly back from Croatia, relaxed, slightly tanned no thanks to the crap weather and vowing to cut down on my food intake for at least a week (so far it hasn’t happened). My favourite place was Split. There was something kind of magical about it. The clincher for number one spot was on our last night there. When Anna and I were walking back to our hostel we wandered into an old square where an acoustic set was playing with couples doing impromptu tango. It was one of those wow moments in life that simply make you feel good and happy to the core.

Back to sailing. The cruise was fun. Our boat was probably the crappiest one in the line, but the people were great, food fantastic and really, that’s all that counts. Our captain was this 70 year old Croatian dude who got into the homemade liquor on one too many occasions and ended up partying with us up on deck. I think he got told off after one particularly big night where he insisted on me riding on his back and asking Anna to meet him in his room. It was funny though. After 3 days of stunning weather it ended up pissing down for the rest of the trip. The weather was so bad that we couldn’t port in the planned destinations and on a few days the rocking was so bad no one left their beds. With the exception of breakfast and lunch of course. Well, for me anyway.

In breaking drinking news I have switched to vodka quite successfully which is great for the availability and cost factors. Drinking, as it is in most European countries is quite cheap, as the cost of soft drink is almost the same as alcohol.

I’m quite proud of myself in the fact that I’ve waited 5 paragraphs to talk about the food I ate! Progress! Let’s just say I’ve never eaten so much bread in my life. It was so tasty with a beautiful crusty outer and soft inner. Mmmm, I’m getting hungry thinking about it. Ok, I got so hungry reliving the bread I had to go and get my lunch.

The excitement is not over though. I'm off to Wales this weekend for the Australia vs Wale World Cup match. Ok, I know, I know nothing about rugby, but I definitely do atmosphere. I feel my patriotism at an all time high.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Ok, could I be any more jealous of you and your trip to Cardiff this weekend – no I don’t think so. I would eat my left arm off right now if that’s what it took for me to get to the game this weekend. All I have is foxtel and it’s just no where near as good as the real thing.

Whilst I know you will barrack for the Aussies could you please give just one cheer for me for the Welsh team (my dearest homeland) it would be truly appreciated.

The boat trip sounds like it was a load of fun – minus the rain part. I also hear you have Christmas all sorted out – Ski slopes here you come. Take care of Megs, I don’t know how she will go on skis or a snowboard.

Be good.

P.S don’t leave it so long in between blogs – I have nothing to read at work now that they have black listed the facebook website

Dances With Zombies said...

So you listened to and enjoyed 'play school guitars'?
and you're drinking Vodka.

Where is vanessa and what have you done to her??

Wood said...

Hey Nicky

I did clap for Wales for you. But just one. They had enough supporters there! Umm, I think Megs will have to take care of me, she has at least skied before!! I think I'm going to sh*t myself the first time I get up to the top of the slope!

xx

Wood said...

Stew, there is a MASSIVE difference between whingy folk music and an acoustic set. But yes, I am drinking vodka.