Monday, July 30, 2007

The Hamburger

Ok, so I am just going to get the food accounts out of the way first.

Filed under the best ever food category:

- Hot dog with this special tomato sauce
- Peanut butter flavoured chips (2 large packets inhaled)
- Mr Kebab - oh, I love you Mr Kebab. Best Kebab place in the world. I'm going to claim it right now. It's so much more than a kebab, it's more like a mecca of Turkish food. Mmmm, Turkish mecca.
- Pastries- I don't need to say anymore
- Hot chips - tomato sauce and mayo, again, surely no explanation is needed
- Snickers icecream that's like a Magnum
- Bar nuts (yes, I am aware of the germ statistics) so crunchy and better yet, free and endless.

Hamburg was nice. It was a little like Amsterdam, but not as good. It was cute and the area we were staying in was littered with little bars, pubs and places to eat. Unfortunately the rain from London followed us, so with much reluctance, we had to dedicate quite a bit of time to eating. It was hard, but someone had to do it.

Coming from London it was really strange to be in such a quiet city. We couldn't work out where all the people were! It made me realise how hard it will be to go home after London. Especially seeing as though Hamburg is bigger than little old Adelaide!

I tapped into my year 8 German lessons and surprisingly, I didn't do too badly. I must have been ok cause people would talk to me in German and I'd whip out a 'ja, ja' and nod my head. However, when they expected more of an answer, like other than 'yes' or 'no' I got into trouble. Or when they say 'do you know where x is' and I'd say 'ja'and then they'd expect me to elaborate. Hmmm. Mum, I even did a spontaneous 'sehr gut' after a meal!! There was no occasion to do my usual phase 'I don't have any pets but my neighbour has a dog which was unfortunate.

As for sights, we saw some really big stature of some dude who we named Dave, went into the city, hung around the student area which had some cute places to eat and funky bars, went to the red light district (Reeperbahn) and went to the art gallery. There is this section of the Repperbahn which is sectioned off, and if you walk through it (you'd have to be a complete dummy to do it cause there is a massive metal sliding door across the street) the pros throw stuff out the window. We saw neither pro nor a throw but we heard about this from a reliable source i.e a German person and my sister.

I think that's probably it. Oh, and I had to put my hand down a toilet to retrieve my favourite hair clip from Tokyo. It was a liberating experience.

Back to another week of work, next trip in 3 weeks when I will be celebrating my entry into the next tick box category. Ugh.

Mmmm, I have eaten so many naked men gummy lollies that I brought back for the team from Hamburg. Is it wrong to pig out on presents you bring back from other people? Ha, yea probably!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Hey Ness, did you get spammed? (comment removed). Check this site out, it's the coolest thing I've seen in ages!

http://mappyhour.nerl.net/index.php

Cheers, Frank.

PS Love your work mate.

Wood said...

Yep. Although it made me feel very important being called the blog administrator!

Thanks,I'll check it out. Long time no speak. Is everything going well?