Thursday, January 25, 2007

EMOS

I don't get 'emos'.

Well, I get the story behind the while 'emo' movement, but what's the deal with the masses of teemos (I seriously crack myself up) that congregate outside Borders, near the Malls Balls or even kumbaya style around the bins (yes, the bins)?

Wait, let me paint the picture for people who don't frequent Rundle Mall. So we've got gaggles (I just wanted to use the word gaggle) of teenagers who dress up in black (everything), wear some form of band t-shirt and jeans which I am sure are stunting some kind of important growth. Smiling is banned, because of course, they are 'emotional'. I'm not exactly sure what the purpose of sitting on the ground for hours on end exactly stands for, but they seem to do a lot of it.

If you're trying to make a point of distancing yourself from mainstream society and being non conformist etc, why would you make yourself look like everyone else you hang out with?

Bring back the homie days. God, I feel old.

4 comments:

Partisan said...

After reading your insightful rambings I have a couple of questions 1). Do you think the increased consumption of Adelaidian dumplings is directly related to the bout of lobster hallucinations? 2). Have you tried squatting overlong periods to see whether your Asian physiology (sorry....half Asian half unspecified)is superior? It's all good to have a theory but you really need to get out in the rice fields (or similar) and do some research. This could be your ticket to world domination.

I do whole heartly agree with your observations about those pesky Emos. Although on the bright side most seem reasonablly educated and don't smell at all bad. I think the best aspect about the Emo is that the more they congregate in a Gaggle the less threatening they become. Alone they look moody and unpredicatable but in a large Gaggle they just seem SAD. I guess at the end of the day perhaps their intention is to spread the joy of depressive emotions onto others. I sure feel just a little bit sorry for them everytime I walk past.

Dances With Zombies said...

Um... are they even really emo? Has anyone bothered to look up or investigate as to what 'emo' means, implies or what the movement was about??

I think the pseudo-goths of borders are trying hard to be something but only going half way to avoid getting into trouble with either mum, dad, stepmum, stepdad, the school or the managers of borders. All rather nauseating for a bunch of people who are making a bid for self expression and individuality.

Sigh.

The same thing happens with 'punks' does anyone even understand the punk movement? (go watch the Filth and the Fury to understand why everyone gets it totally wrong)

Wood said...

Partisan,

1. Definitely not. Prior to discovering my love of dumplings I've had other hallucinations that have not included members of the crustacean family.

2. Yes I have actually. Although what would you define as an 'overlong' period? I reckon I did about 20 minutes. Would that count? Can I check into world domination now?

Dancer man,

They are a form of emo. Mr Yoel and I have discussed this. While they are not 'hard core' emo, they do represent a branch of emoism.

Punks, emos, homies, it's a vicious cycle really.

Dances With Zombies said...

Well despite Mr Yoels credentials I am still not comfortable with labelling them emo...