Monday, October 09, 2006

Flashbacks

So imagine me innocently walking home. It's a Saturday morning, the sun is shining and I'm sure a bird is chirping somewhere. I've just finished the weekly food shop and I'm pushing my co-purchased grannyesque shopping trolley named Black Betty (who incidentally hates me, but we won't go into that now) home. Then it comes out of nowhere. I have a nineties fashion flashback.

This evil memory sneaks out of the crevasse I had so conveniently filed away under 'never remind me of this again', and it comes back so vividly I actually cringe. Even as I am about to type 'it' I feel like shuddering. Ok, here it is. I actually donned a pair of black Buddy Holly style glasses with blue lenses when I was 14. I have no idea why it was even remotely cool at the time. All I know is that EVERYONE had a pair. In my usual trying to be cool but never quite hitting the mark, I bought a pair that were a little too Nana Mouskouri and not enough Buddy like. If my memory serves me correct I may have worn them with my Docs. But again, not quite hitting the mark my Docs were nowhere near scrubby or grungy enough to be cool. I think they may have even been shiny...

If this wasn't traumatic enough, this terrifying moment turned into a double whammy. I had a Saturday night out outfit flashback. Now, let me preface this by saying I was 18 at the time. And at this time there was none of this I'm 18 but I dress and act like a 25 yr old. In the 90's we did not look or act mature. Ok, so enough stalling. I went out (to The Plant for all of you who know the once 'place to be' on a Wednesday, Thursday, Friday and Saturday night) in a mini skirt, white platforms and white tank top saying 'Boy Toy'. At least I matched?

Mortifying.

No comments: