Wednesday, September 01, 2010

Paris

I have muchos newsos so I’m going to feed it in as slowly as the storyline of Clark and Lois’ romance on The New Adventures of Superman.

First off, I went to Paris on the weekend.

I love Paris. I wish my mother had forced me to speak French as soon as I left the womb. It would have made me a much cuter child or at least deflected attention from the bald patch and boy looks if I was running around saying things like ‘oui maman, c’est jambon’. But unfortunately, she chose to converse with me in English and each time I go to France, my high school French gets worse and worse. Trying to dredge up lessons from 11+ years ago makes my brain feel like a sausage dog trying to walk up stairs for the first time.

I guess what I love about the city is just the feeling of oozy decadence. It’s ridiculous, rude, beautiful and proud. Walking on the white stone paths of the Luxembourg Gardens makes me feel grand. Eating a falafel in the Marais fills a hole of hunger like you wouldn’t believe. Trying to choose a cake in Laduree is almost impossible. But perhaps the most wonderful thing about it is that I can go and experience all these amazing things at the drop of a hat. I’m lucky, I know I am. For all the grey skies, rainy days and cold winters I complain about, it’s all worth it for a weekend in Paris.

2 comments:

Dani said...

Love it! Sub to my blog! I am going to France in December! (:

scdd said...

I just ran across an old tshirt I bought during a visit to Paris a decade ago. I think it's time to go back! An awesome city!