Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Shit, it's July

Has it truly only been 7 months that I've been using predictive text messaging? I can't believe it. Why does life move so quickly? I'm trying to savor the occasional warm days (and maybe master how to spell occasional as it took me 5 goes), good hair days and laughing til I get cheek pain and it just refuses to slow down.

So I've just come back from New York. Man, I love that place. You know when you go somewhere and it just fits with you? I feel like that with both New York and Amsterdam. I could so imagine myself living there. Even with Americans. It made me realise how unfriendly the British are. I actually became friendlier as a result. Yes, believe it or not, I smiled and said have a nice day to one and all. Sure, it's all fake, but they are friendly. FRIENDLY. Now I am saying 'friendly' over and over in my head and it now sounds weird. Maybe I'll stop now. Friendly. Yep, still weird.

You know what - people keep on asking me what I did there and I have absolutely no idea. A few random things pop in mind like the couple in their 60's rowing a boat in Central Park having the time of their lives, a little boy eating a banana taking a shine to me and talking to this weird hippie lesbian chick in a vintage store in East Village. I'm really worried that I'm going to forget all these wonderful places I've been to. How do you hold onto memories? You can't photograph everything and even then, can you bring back some wonderful feeling or event you once had from a photo? I think with photos you get caught in the aesthetics of the moment rather than the emotion.

I'm now back at work with a semi new attitude. Well, one that sticks me though until I find a new job. I decided the other job wasn't for me. Even though it would be awesome, there's no point starting something I'm not that into just because I don't like where I am currently. Yes, this is VERY mature. Next I will actually start reading my bills properly.

I'm sitting cross legged on the floor of my room at the moment, staring out the window in kind of a musing, arty way. Have I told you about the view from my window? It's fantastic. For the most part, all you can see is sky, but the best bit is when the sun sets over the chimney tops of the neighbouring houses. It's seriously magical. I'm planning on climbing out of the window one night to watch the sunset from the roof. I may check with a more knowledgeable housemate regarding roof vs my body weight first.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great to have you back (on your blog) Ness. Noo York sounds fun, even if it is full of Americans. What was the food like?

Anonymous said...

You didn't happpen to bump into Terry while you there did you? He's living in Williamsburg appparently. Glenn's sent him over to crack the US market. You watch, there'll be Pale on tap in every second bar in Manhattan before long.

Alex said...

This is one of your more knowledgable housemates speaking... Can you climb out onto the roof when I'm not home please? That way when you fall through the roof and land on my bed I won't be squished! Thanks muchly. :P

Wood said...

Apparently Williamsburg is the place to be living. So I guess it would suit Terry then!

Alex, sure, no worries.