Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Happy anniversary, London

So I've just had my year anniversary with London.

It was a beautiful day. I'm pretty sure I got to work late. Wait, yes I did. As you can see, it was a pretty momentous occasion. So much so I can't really remember what I did. I probably surfed the net and said 'mmmmmm' to a few things, oh, I went out for wine and cheese with the team at lunch and then went to bed early so I could get up at 345am to catch a flight to Salzburg.

Salzburg was, um pretty. For some reason I became a complete spaz sometime while crossing the German border. I managed to trip over several times, which, when you have a sore coccyx bloody hurts, as well as set off the security alarm at the Salzburg Museum of Modern Art. I feel like there were more displays of duhness (yes I know I'm supposed to be a copywriter), but it was probably me just saying stupid things, as no other physical incidents come to mind as I sit down to reminisce.

Now, I know that I am a slightly (debatable) mean, sarcastic person. So I guess two people of a very similar nature should not go on a Sound of Music tour. It's like letting an anorexic into McDonalds. The vomit of verbal abuse (whispered and laughed) that came from Vic and I was torrential. Singing along to 'My favourite things' or the goat one? Puleeease. It did make for tears on Vic's behalf though. The tour was made worthwhile by discovering a new tourist camera pose (bending knees while doing a shhhh sign) to add to the ones discovered in Oslo - hello star fingers. Man, I love Asian people. On a more serious note, we did get to see one of the most beautiful places on earth, St Wolfgang just outside of Salzburg. I've never seen such an idyllic place. It was absolutely stunning.

Other than laughing at dumb people singing, our time in Salzburg was spent searching for the perfect strudel. When we were disappointed not once, but twice, it then became just a nice strudel. And by the end of the weekend it was any strudel that tastes semi ok will do. Eww, I've just swallowed paper. Ugh. Whoops. That's what you get for being too excited about eating pork buns you found at the Chinese supermarket. Sorry, back to Salzburg.

There isn't much more to say about it other than, it was pretty. The scenery was lovely, but in the end, the best parts of the trip were laughing at people and defacing various Austrian statues and billboards - see Facebook pics.

So now I'm back. In the land of men who insist on carrying really large umbrellas, where homeless people sit on the tube with half their head in a plastic bag on the neighbouring seat and where they don't sell those really great peanut butter chips you can buy in Austria.

Now, I'm sure you're getting sick of my I love London garble, but I had another 'moment' today. I was walking into work from the gym and as I crossed over Waterloo Bridge I had Big Ben, Houses of Parliament and the London Eye on my right and to my left, St Paul's and London Bridge. Now seriously, how cool is that? The day I don't find this utterly amazing, beautiful and exciting is the day for me to come home.

This weekend I am in London - yay, my first weekend home in months. So I am making the most of it. Borough Markets on Saturday, a Kevin Spacey play on Saturday night at the Old Vic Theatre and then on Sunday lunch at Gordon Ramsay's gastro pub.

Umm, and I might have developed an addiction - to booking holidays! I booked another trip away today. Woooooooo! To Paris. And, um, I might be booking a trip to Portugal tomorrow. Hmmmmmmm.I LOVE MY LIFE!!!!!!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yay for anniversaries! Did London get you a nice present?
And as for the annoucement of your holidays, well, that just sucks. You're going to Paris AND Portugal? Um, well, I'm going to the Grampians next week, so ner!
Seriously, great to hear you are still super enjoying London. Eat some of that melted cheese stuff at the Borough Markets for me!
cass

Dances With Zombies said...

Happy Anniversary Woodster...

Anonymous said...

Happy anniversary Wood. How's the accent coming along?

Wood said...

I'm actually heading to the markets tomorrow so I might just have to do that! Have fun in the Grampians!

Thanks for the anniversary wishes. The accent is as okka as the day I left.