Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Doing it Italian Style

I don’t want to get too behind, so I should probably tell you about my weekend in Sardinia. You know how sometimes it’s the unexpected that are the most fun? Well, this was certainly the case this weekend. Travelling with foreigners (Australians and token New Zealander) meant we had to get up at 230am to get to the airport. We decided there was no point in going to bed and watched High School Musical 1 (with dance move break downs) and 2. I’m actually ashamed to say I was mesmerised by this experience. That Zac Efron can dance. While he is no Dean Cain, I would have given him space on my wall, that’s if I was 12 and still considered plastering my walls with men an appropriate form of décor. Ok, let’s face it, I’d still be doing it if I hadn’t gone all ‘Rebecca’.

So back to Sardinia. We ended up waiting a good 3 hours for busses on our first day there. I am proud to say that being the seasoned traveller I am, waiting does not faze me, as long as there are shadows for hand puppets, I can wait for any form of transport. In between 9 scoops of gelati, we managed to visit the blue grotto caves (ok) and do a bit of exploring in Alghero. It was relaxing, there was sun on our faces and we were happy.

The next day we found some local markets where we stocked up on prosciutto, local cheeses (hello Peccorino, how may I eat you), breads, fruit, wine, beer and desserts. Our picnic haul was truly amazing. Gelati, of course, served as an appetiser before we headed to the sea and set ourselves up on the rocks for a good 6 hours in the sun. We then headed to the town square where were staying and participated in some local dancing at the festival of Saint Marco. By participating, I actually mean we were the only ones dancing while the locals looked on. I’m pretty sure they were amazed by the rhythm and variation of moves on show. Better still, they would have assumed we were Brits abroad due to lack of coordination and willingness to be wearing summer clothes in spring just for a hint of sun on our skin. The Aussie name is still in tact!

This weekend I am off to the Cinque Terre and I am unbelievably excited. Get ready for some serious gushing next week.

Oh, and I made muesli last night. It’s really good*. I’m going to make some man a good little wifey one day.

*confirmed by third party

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

FCUK you are travelling plenty! Good work!

Not to hype it too much but I have had about 5 trips to Italy and the the Cinque Terre is my fav place.

Enjoy!

Anonymous said...

Hey Wood, please excuse my ignorance but could you explain the term "Rebecca". I went to urban dictionary for enlightenment but couldn't decide which definition was applicable....

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=rebecca

Wood said...

Rebecca: it was the name of my new, more mature room and attitude to decor when I first moved to London.

Anonymous said...

Sorry, not ignorance - Alzheimer’s!