Friday, March 14, 2008

Sooooo, what do you do?

So I've been doing some thinking. Fear not, I haven't exerted myself too much, nor will a theory be named after me, but I've been wondering how many people actually think like me. On more than one occasion I've been called 'strange, weird, eccentric'. Sometimes I'm ok with it, other times it pisses me off. I figure, to some extent, most people think like me, but just don't say it. Other times the things I unearth from the dark, very dirty crevasses of my mind are probably privy to me and mostly shouldn't be said. But all that aside, lately, I've met more people who think like me and I like it. So how many more are there?

I don't do small talk. I suck at it. I would rather just meet someone one and say 'fart' and then take it from there. None of this 'what do you do' bullshit. My lack of enthusiasm for chit chat usually makes people think I'm stuck up, rude, a bitch - the list is kind of endless. But the older I get, the less inclined I am to do forced conversations. I guess living over here as given me a lower tolerance for hanging out with dumbasses and a greater thirst for finding interesting people.

I wonder what the ratio is for how many people actually know us. Not in a 'if Joe had the choice to be a river or the sea, which would he be' kind of way. But more like how many of our friends and family really know us? There are different levels of our personality we chose to share with others. To begin with, we only reveal the part that we think the person would best relate to. Then hopefully you move on. But for the most part, we find a level of understanding and mutual interest and the relationship grows. However, how many people can you say confidently really know and understand all of the different layers that make up who you are?

Can I just finish off by saying there was a newspaper article in the paper about a woman who sat on the toilet for 2 years cause she got stuck. Her skin ended up growing around the toilet seat. Luckily, her caring boyfriend brought her food and water. I guess it's kind of like one of those potatoes you grow in a jar.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Just could not leave another fat feeder story alone...??

Wood said...

Well, technically, it wasn't a fat feeder....

Anonymous said...

While I kind of miss hearing about what you ate for lunch (seriously), I got a bit out of this post... is this the first in a new era of blogs tackling life's big issues?

Granted, it is cool meeting people who you are immediately comfortable with but come on, surely small talk is a necessary evil sometimes... don't you reckon comfortable silences are even more enjoyable when they come after an early period of awkward 'tell me what you do again' boringness?

...and you forgot to add 'high maintenance' to the list of first impressions ps.

Wood said...

I'm glad that you got something out of it. While I'm not turning into a hairy underarm hippie, a few things have got me thinking lately.

Yes, small talk is definitely a necessary evil, but there are scales of it and sometimes it's a lot harder with certain people. I think if it's hard off the bat the comfortable silences will never be that comfortable or enjoyable. Ever.

Ha, of course, how could I forget?