Tuesday, August 01, 2006

Hola

Hola everyone

I am now in San Sebastian which is a beautiful place, and it would be even more beautiful if I was lying on the beach instead of stuck in an internet cafe cause it´s raining and kind of cold.

I am having a fantastic time and have met some really really cool people which is what makes travelling so much fun. Biarritz was very very cool and I spent the day at the beach and even got a little burnt. I guess that serves me right for going on about how "weak" the european sun is.

Eurailing is very interesting and so is not being able to speak Spanish. It is extremely useful/exciting arriving into a train station that isn´t sign posted with the destination (San Sebastian) and it is even more useful/exciting that there are never any maps and the directions I have seem to always be wrong. I´m sure even if I had a map and could speak the langauge I would still get lost i.e in Paris.

When I arrived at the hostel in San Sebastian there were absolutely no signs or a building number out the front so I had to ask a butcher in very bad Spanish where the hostel was. He showed me where to go but when I got into the building I had no idea where to go from the entrance. So, I walked into a room that had it´s door open and found some dude sleeping on the couch. I stood there for a while wondering what to do before pressing some random doorbell and then stood there like an idiot for about five minutes. Then this lady came down in a lift and took me to the right place. I think I was standing in someone´s apartment! Whoops.

Today I went for a walk around the old village which was really beautiful. There are so many bars filled with people eating tapas and drinking. I was really tempted to go into one but got a bit scared as I have no idea what the deal is with ordering etc and because my Spanish is so bad and the people in the Basque country are a little rude I chickened out! Maybe I will sum up enough courage tonight!

Off to Cordoba tomorrow which will be a long travelling day. I have to go to Madrid first and then change train stations there and then wait a couple of hours before heading to Cordoba.

Adios amigos!

No comments: