Monday, April 10, 2006

Suitcase vs Backpack

So a few people have been playing with my mind in regards to whether I should be back packing or suitcasing it.

Backpack pros
- I am staying in Youth Hostels while I am on my tour. When I think of Youth Hostels I think of backpacks
- Lots of places in Europe don't have lifts so the thought of dragging a suitcase up 5 flights of stairs isn't very appealing
- If I am on a train/subway/underground/walking around on the street in any of my chosen cities, a packpack would be less cumbersome.

Backpack cons
- You would have to be REALLY organised in your packing. Imagine if you need a pair of socks and they are ALL the way down the bottom of your bag - what a pain!
- Not as much room for all of my stuff
- I have no arm, back or upper body strength
- No wheels, so much lifting
- I don't have one so I would have to buy/borrow one
- Megan told me not to take one, she said I would hate it. I believe her. She knows me well.

Suitcase pros
- More room
- Can find things more easily
- Wheels = dragging
- I have one already (it's purple, at least I won't loose it)
- Compartments

Suitcase cons
- No lift = trouble
- Big and cumbersome

I had it all worked out before these people who shall remain nameless (but you know who you are!)started confusing me!

4 comments:

Dances With Zombies said...

Backpack it. You will build your upper body strength just by carrying it. Also you're there to move around and look around. Take the minimum (not like you're on the pull or anything) travel light. 2 jeans, 1 skirt, 3 tops, 1 jumper, 1 jacket, 5 undies (incl. socks) and you're set. ONE set of shoes (comfortable)

Take a water bottle and also some deodorant (cos some weird countries don't seem to know how to use it and it's f**king gross). Anything else you want just buy while you're out and about and then post home if you can't be f**ked carrying it with you.

GOOOOOOOOOO ZOMBIES!

Wood said...

ONE pair of shoes. Are you serious?

Dances With Zombies said...

why would you need more?

Wood said...

Well, while zombies are dead and are walking around in the shoes they died in and therefore only have one pair, I am a living and coordinating person who happens to need to change my shoes depending on what outfit I am wearing. I don't want to go all Clueless on you, but you can walk around in thongs while it's raining for the following reasons;

1. Water + shoe + walking = smell
2. Yuck wet feet
3. Squelchy noises when you walk

Plus, what happens if I decide to go mountineering while I am away? I can't wear my thongs hiking up a mountain and I can't wear mountain shoes to the beach.

See, you need at least two pairs of shoes. AT LEAST.